blogspot visitor counter

Monday, July 16, 2012

Not funny

Over the weekend, I couldn't stop reading about this incident. It is a shocking and most appalling thing to happen to anyone. I had goose bums all over me, every single time I have been eve-teased, touched inappropriately came flashing back to me and I was in intense rage.

My post though is not about the incident. It is about the use of the word rape in common language today. It makes me cringe anytime someone uses the word to describe a bad situation. Because no one with an ounce of decency could use the word so flippantly.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a prude, I can take most 'jokes' with sex connotations. Mind you though, about sex, not about rape. And there is a difference, if you didn't know that, get off my blog and while you're at it, get off the face of the earth.

Here's an example of what a man said when describing an interview  'I had an interview with 7 people one room, I felt like I was being raped.'
Or another one, when talking about a tedious programming process : '...brutally rape of my mind..'


Do you find these sentences and usage of the word offensive? I do. Because the act of rape is not something to be taken lightly. I find is horrifying that someone can use the word with such nonchalance. Like it is an everyday matter and not something sinister, mean and evil. Please tell me what you think. I really want to know if I am alone in this.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post..
    http://apparitionofmine.blogspot.in/

    http://creativeworldofnoopur.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete